Saturday, July 10, 2010

Something about Edelweiss

Sadness. I am leaving Gastein in the morning. Not on a jet plane tho...

Tonight we had a little wee farewell in the kitchen which was icecream sundaes with myself, Annemarie, Siedgrid, Marita and the boss herself. It was all very nice and Austrian and my dishwashing skills were well praised haha...

I gave them some specialty nougat chocolates which I bought for them a while back. 'Nougat' in Europe really just means Nutella, basically. They love the stuff. Would kill for it. So even tho I'm not a mad fan, they were happy.
And a thank you note in German which caused a few giggles.

I will have pretty good memories of this place. It's fair to say it's been one of the best and most coincidental (seemingly) experiences of my entire life.

I mean, last night I got to man the strudel-buffet which was an experience in itself. Meat strudel, black-pudding strudel (surprised myself by loving it), spinach strudel, sourkraut strudel (of course), apple strudel and also Marienne-Topfen Strudel. Marienne-topfen is basically like baked custard with apricots. The bland and protein-rich kind your nana used to make. Mmm.

Today I found a new track called MarienWeg which I loved and I think I've now officially done everything you can do in Bad Gastein, except for a radon-thermal treatment in a cave.

I was going to sing So Long Farewell, from Sound of Music, at this point, but the Edelweiss song is much better and everyone secretly knows it.