Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I still lurve Luz

A little more about Lucerne...
It ROCKS

I spent the morning seeing the sights, midday sheltering from sun, and afternoon climbing to the top of the city wall plus tasting chocolates.

I was super pleased to finally find the Heini Tearooms! They aren’t advertised in any tourist brochure but they are the place you have to go. I was lucky to stumble across that in a random internet review. I like going to these non-sponsored places...
I tried 3 chocolates, 2 of which are Lucerne specialties. I didn’t come here just to pay for normal chocolate. They are called Lozaerner Raegetroepfli which means “Raindrops from Lucerne”. Cherry-liquer filled. The milk chocolate one actually goes with the filling best, surprisingly.

I also bought a giant pretzel today because it’s been on my list of things to try. I mainly got it for the photo opp. Which can say was TRULY STUNNING as you will see below. It's dedicated to Liz Cashmore.

Oh yeah, AND a rhubarb-white-chocolate truffle, for the novelty. It was actually super good. Probably because it tasted more like lollies that chocolate, and I like that tang instead of plain chocolate sweetness...

I saw the dying-lion statue which is a pretty amazing work of art. There is a stone cliff and carved into it is a life-sized lion who is in the throes of death... he looks very sad.
It’s to commemorate soldiers who died protecting that famous royal chick from way back. I know she ate macaroons and they made a movie about her.

Now I am trying to figure out how on earth to get to this tiny isolated town of only 300 people, in the north of Luxembourg with no train routes, tomorrow. And to eat this berry-quark mousse from Bachmanns. Mm.