Thursday, July 22, 2010

I love Copenhagen Airport Times a Million

Well, I'm only saying that because this time I haven't had a chance to get into Copenhagen city itself, which I also love, times a million.

But I'm not starting there, I'm starting back in the Grande Duchy of Luxembourg!

I trudged down the road to the campsite "Aal" after being farewelled from the Hotel with a load of extra fees and what I think was pretty crap service, both times that I went there.
Not that I want to be defaming anyone, but here's a tip: If you want to stay in the Ardennes region of Luxembourg, don't go to the "Hotel de la Sure". It thinks it owns the town.

Met up with the camping-trip peoples. They were all from the UK except one girl from Vienna. I guess I expected more of a youth-group vibe but I turned out to be one of the youngest there by quite a bit. A lot of older people (50s) outnumbering the younger. There were all very friendly tho and so, yes Rashi, I did spend a week with happy christians - guitar and singalongs included.

I have to say I'm glad to be a real room instead of a tent tonight. I was sleeping on the ground and every night wearing pretty much ALL my clothes to try keep warm.

We did different activities every day which was cool - my favourites:

Exploring Luxembourg City (the city and country have the same name... wierd) for a day. I have this to say about Luxembourgers: Baditude!
They speak a mix of French and German and ooze a kinda punkish but sometimes posh style. Think 'Tatu' meets Victoria Beckham. But more exotic. The train station was sprinkled with bogans including pretty teenage girls with completely shaved heads and various piercings. They scream Whos Pretty Now? Then you get into the Old Town and it's all pretty and beautiful and you can sort of see how it originally was as a fortified city, including exploring the battlement caves underground. This side of town was sprinkled with well-heeled women and all that French/Italian elegance that comes naturally to these people without looking like they tried. A large mix of all shades of skin and lots of mixed black-and-white families. All seemed kinda exotic to me.

I stumbled across a cafe called "The Chocolate Company" which of COURSE I patronised and I managed to get the rest of the group to come with me.
We enjoyed a few huge slices of amazing cherry gateau ("It was like, THIS BIG") and I got a hot chocolate which was aniseed-hazelnut-blackforest-cherry flavour. Just to try.

We also went to the amazing huge caves far underground at Hotton, and on the way we stopped at.. BELGIUM.
I was very excited about this bonus since I wasn't able to go to Belgium other than that. It was a small and extremely cute town called La Roche that was dripping with Belgium-ness and even tho I dont know anyhting about how Belgium should look, it was exactly how I pictured it. A bit dirtier and greyer than say Austria, but still quaint. More stone-work on the houses.

Naturally I got a few gifts there and chocolate and a strawberry tart.

Add Belgian to a word and it suddenly becomes amazing. Belgian Chocolate. Belgian Biscuits. Belgian Beer. I'm thinking of doing this with all my words from now on.

We also spent a day kayaking and another day on a solar boat during which a few things happened:
- i got slightly sunburnt (I'm now quite brown which you may not believe. Being with pastey English people helped)
- saw lots of wildlife
- saw lots of "wild life" of the human kind. GAK. Europeans have no shame. I'm not just talking about simple innocent nudity either.

We used the campground cafe a lot and had a final get together there last night. I was lucky to have 2 great tent buddies, Sarah and Judith, who it wouldn't have been the same without.

I actually acquired a few English-isms like saying "luvly" a lot and pronouncing O's like the queen.

Won't last long, don't worry.

Then today I packed up early to head alone to Luxembourg for a few more hours and then got a flight here to Copenhagen. You had to pay for even a bottle of water on board which I thought was insane because it's a good airline and costs 200 British Pounds for the 1 hour flight! I said nooo thankyou to that.

Great airport - lots of shops and so far helpful staff.

Tomorrow off to the wedding in Sweden which I think will mean I'm sleeping in a cabin near a lake. Woot! Hope they won't mind my 2-months-squashed wedding outfit.