Thursday, July 8, 2010

Ho Hum Gastein goes on. But not for long

Not much new has happened in BadGasTown but it's nearly time for me to sing a cheesy Sound of Music song as I gap.
Interestingly the bosses daughter said to me the other day that in summer bad Gastein is absolutely dead except for 'just old people' *bored face*. But in winter, it's actually quite the place to go and has a famous night-life and apparently is absolutely bursting with young Swedes who come here to ski in the alps. She said that all except one bar close down in Summer, which will explain why I haven't been able to see.. pretty much anything. Happening. Here.

That's not to say I don't love this place. It's entirely loveable. You can play Heidi all day long and nothing will burst your little alpine bubble.
It's rude not to smile at strangers and say hello in the street.
I can see baby deers in the woods out my window.
Everyone is on a health-kick.
All the food comes in perfect ball-formation....

... there are almost no shops... no young people... no English (virtually no German either - just a twisted dialect)...

Which is why I have decided to leave tiny little happy-ville and move on to Luzern in Switzerland and then go camping in northern Luxembourg. I figure Luxembourg will be great - it's a tiny country squished between the best of everything: chocolate from Belgium, Tuscan-vibes from Southern France, alps from Switzerland, gateau from Germany.... castles from everywhere... a whole heap of hiking, river-swimming, and hopefully rock-climbing. And young people. And English. WOOT

I'm assuming I won't have much contact with the outside world during that time.

Then off to a wedding in southern Sweden by a lake, for one of the most lovely Swedes you will never meet.

Then home for a lamb roast and some much-promised welcome-back-chocolate cake which I am secretly extreeeemely excited about.