Monday, June 14, 2010

Water


This is a plug for water.

Water is amazing. I forgot that there are not many watery spots in Europe. Which is completely insane given it gets so hot here. At home it's rarely hot enough to swim in the beach... think of all that beautiful beautiful water going to waste while people here perch on the edge of filthy river banks and try to pretend they are swimming in it!

The reason for this rant is, I'm in Bad Gastein. Bad meaning Bath. Landing smack bang in the middle of this tiny village is a GIANT waterfall that crashes down at lightening speed, louder than a freight train, and sends the air hovering around it into a sweet misty frenzy.
I feel more at home by that body of water than anywhere else I've been so far. I guess kiwis have water in their blood, since we are never not surrounded by it (we also have Explorer in our blood. I much prefer discovering new things for myself by exploring than by following some kinda tour map). I discovered the fall today and couldn't help clambering down the steep steps (a few others on this path have hiking shoes, shorts, those long walking-stick things in each hand and backpacks. I found that secretly funny.) to peer over the edge in awe. It's so clear you can see every rock even tho it's deep. The white spray is huge and perfect. It's not just that you can see it, it's that you can hear it, and you can feel the spray from a while away. When you breathe in Bad Gastein, anywhere, you can feel the cold spray in your lungs. Its amazing. No wonder this town is famous for heeling people simply with its air and water. It's like virtual swimming. I wonder if it gets hot enough here, if I'll be able to follow the fall right down to a swimming spot somewhere in the valley. I also wonder if people will think I'm crazy for doing that...