Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Briefly...

It's been sweltering hot in the Bad of Gastein and I've been spending my days somewhere between exploring in the sun, running, shopping, and watching bits of the soccer world cup at night.

Not a whole heap to say except that I find I love roaming the hills around here and got an up-close view of my favourite horse who I have named Peanut because he looks like peanut butter and always makes me hungry.
It's amazing having no time limits and knowing that you can't really get lost. No matter where you are you are so high up that you can see the landscape like a map, spot your hotel, and head towards it. The other day my 30 min run ended up being a 2 hour adventure. This is partly because it's too hot to actually run, so everything gets dragged out. And partly because I like to follow my nose and that time it happened to lead me to some cool waterfalls and caves.

I had a list of goodies to buy (mainly clothes) and since there are no shops here I went to Salzburg for my 3rd time there, and after over an hour melting in the heat trying to find the mall, managed to get a bus there. The mall was sweetly air conditioned and surprisingly empty of all the horrible little teenagers that seem to swarm in Salzburg. (I still don't get why its famous. I honestly think it's a well-below-average city. But anyway...the mall makes it worth it).
I got jeans, a skirt, a top, and some sugary goods such as Apple Rings for your Royal Highness back in New Zealand... you know who you are. But I didn't get shoes, which was a bummer I thought as they were top of my list and there were millions of shoes in the mall!

Lucky for me I literally stumbled across a tiny shoe shop in Bad Gastein the next day, of all places, wow! On closer inspection I realised this little doorway and steps lead up into a treasure trove of shoes and I spotted the exact babies I wanted, which came with tiptop customer service and are real leather and a lot cheaper than in Salzburg. Sweet.

That pretty much sums up my life at the moment... I hope it was as exciting for you as it was for me!