Saturday, May 29, 2010

la Vie en Rose

Ok, the title doesn't make a heap of sense, but I was trying to think of a catchy way to use Rose's name haha.

Once I checked into Hotel Europa at 11am, I was extremely tempted to have a nap. However with the advice of certain Wellingtonians, I stayed awake and went exploring instead. So lucky I did! On my way to the Romerberg village place, I decided to follow my nose and ended up being drawn to a patch of greenery, sunlight, and hullo, the river Main! Totally awesome there. Its completely massive and I couldn't believe how much more beautiful and open it is there than the other side of the city. Loads of trees lining these wide paths and plenty of perfect lawns to lie on. Plus there was a ginormous dragon boat festival going on.

I crossed a bridge and there were farmers markets and museums and amazing old buildings all along the other side.
Eventually I got back on route and came to the Romerberg place - easy to find because i just headed in the direction of a cool looking steeple.


The romerberg is great, it actually feels German. Like the building are the proper old feuerwerk houses or whatever they're called. Like with external wooden frames. I'll put a photo up if I can...

At that point it was about 2pm and my breakfast was still holding out, but it was stinking hot and sunny. Got a $10 smoothie and took a trip to the Zeil.

There are some amazing shoe shops. I mean I've never seen stores so big that have only shoes and nothing else. (Nothing like shoe Warehouse, don't worry). They are all around 60-150 Euros. Oh and mum, i saw the EXACT watch i want, you know the white one I've been trying to wish into existance for ages... only 550Euros! woot!

Then I met the beautiful Rose at the main station and it is definitely awesome having a friend here. We headed straight out back to the Romer and got a drink and some food at one of the Biergarten places (thse outdoor patios covered in tables and chairs literally everywhere). They had blankets on the seats which you could use when it got chilly. I have to say that the hamburger meat tasted EXACTLY like luncheon sausage which I happen to not be a fan of, and I have no idea how they managed to make it taste like that when it looked exactly like mince. But anyway, it was a nice place to sit.

Then we spent an night in our beds watching Eurovision contest on our tv, which can I say is ridiculously cheesy - European music never fails to amaze me which the cheese! Especially when English is a second language and they are singing these awful predictable ryhming lyrics. Hahaha. It was a very good night.