Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Fat babies and useful Germans

Ok so I:m in Osaka and I`m writing this because I have time to kill and no Japanese money and credit card fee is 7.50 plus some more on top of that. And all I want is a bottle of water...

The flight here was amazingly different than my disgusting experience a few years back of flying to Sweden....

for a start this is the first time on this trip that I:ve actually had time to kill, I haven:t been early for any flights so far (nearly missed the boarding for the flight here from Auckland, somehow).

And for seconds I didn:t cry when i left. I thuoght I would because my previous airport farewells have been teary occassions which i HATE so this was good. I mean its only 2 months I just was a bit apprehensive about that based on last time.

For thirds I ended up sitting next to this German traveller who miraculously is getting all the same connecting flights as me, and knows exactly what he:s doing. I wouldnt have found these computers (keyboard A bit funny but we;ll live) and i also would have missed the train between osaka terminals (didnt have a clue there was a train, i dont know how everyone knew exactly where to go and where to get off...i just followed this guy and all the rest of the herd).

FOr fourths, there was this fat japaense baby up in front of me on the flight, i mean seriously, i know i am partial towards fat things anyway, but he had was just great, with this awesome long black spikey hair sticking out all over his tiny head, and fat rolls aruond his wrists like little pudgey bracelets. And he thought me and the guy next to me were there solely to entertain him, sat there grinning away and laughing at us as if we were doing anything (i was minding my own business, German was nodding his head in time to headphones).

For fifths I have these new flight socks which are amazing. If you think 50 bucks for socks is too much, its NOT. I didn]t get pins n needles or the usual intense calf pain that i get. I wasnt designed for sitting still so i was bracing myself for the usual kind of hell sitting still for 11 hours but it was actually ok.

For sixths I actually fell asleep, i mean properly asleep. Not for more than 2 hours but still. I woke up thinking i was at home in bed having a wierd dream about airplane engines and people coughing.For sevenths Japanese airline food is actually ok. Teriyake salmon and chicken even for breakfast, and sushi and tea and other fun things.

NOT so great is the Lufthansa flight I:m about to get on. Another 12 or 13 hours in a rather crappy and old plane, with no exit row this time, shared tv screen overhead, and hopefully not too many screaming babies.

I can:t access gmail or facebook here for some reason. Hence the random blogging instead.