Thursday, May 27, 2010

Frankfurt... city of... dunno?

I'm here in Frankfurt and I don't have much to say about it yet... I think my first hour in this city pretty much sums it up so far:

- View from plane: large piles of dirt, cranes, diggers, scaffolding, holes in the ground

- Train from airport: Crowded, busy, not in English, disorientating, literally just followed people because if i followed the signs i would be in a suburb in the middle of nowhere right now...

- Main train station: Like a maze from one of those mirror maze places. Seriously just end up going round and round trying to find a patch of daylight as its all underground and the signs are confusing. Got out eventually. Phew

- Walk from station to hotel: a tiny bit dodgey. Lots of construction workers shall we say.

- Hotel: crappy on the outside, nice on the inside.

- Room: TINY. But nice. :) Literally I didn't know that "single" rooms actually can be just single rooms. i.e one single bed and a strip of floor to walk alongside it. Oh and the stripey carpet reminds me of a hat from Doctor Suess...

- Area around hotel: Makes me wonder if I came to the right country. I didn't see many Germans. Lots of Italians and Somalians. Actually someone said "Ciao Bella" to me when I walked past. Not many shops. Kinda a wierd industrial area but not..
I just did some research on the net and aparrently this is the "most exciting" block in Frankfurt. Due to all the cultures. Oh and probably the trams. They are all over the place like a rash. Scared of getting run down. Why do trains and tram and cars all have to go on the road at once??

- Breakfast: great once I realised there is a nice breakfast room that is NOT in the dodgey smokey bar (which was filled with foreign men at 6.30am. why is that?). Tonnes of gourmet breakfast food that I probably wasn't supposed to have with my room-type but hey, I didn't know the protocol, and only speaking broken German and English to the staff really helps. Let the poor kiwi girl eat all the smoked salmon and mozerella tomatoes she wants. :)