Saturday, May 29, 2010

Frankfurt update while I wait for Rose..

After it stopped raining yesterday morning I braved the wet and busy world of Frankfurt pedestrians and manned up to my fear of being killed by a tram while trying to cross the road. I didn't get hit by even one!

Struck gold by finding the main shopping district called the Zeil which is a MASSIVE pedestrian zone filled with nothing but malls and shops. I was a bit disappointed that fashion seems to be exactly the same as in NZ. At least, all the shops I saw were re-takes of Just Jeans and Cotton On and Espirit. Teenagers everywhere. Does school not exist here?

Unfortunately I didn't get to stay super long there because the place I went to for lunch then told me that I wasn't allowed to eat in the restaurant... I'd ordered a noodle box (got passed off to 3 people before getting someone who could understand me) and apparently the rule is you can't eat them in the restaurant. I was a bit bummed and realised later that I didn't have any utensils so thought I'd wander back to the hotel to eat it there. (I thought I would have lost my appetitite with jet lag and travelling etc, but it turns out I'm extremely starving ALL the time. I can't fight it). Turned out there were no utensils hidden in my rooms either. I was bit stumped at first but then I thought, hey if Indians can do it, so can I. And dug in with my fingers. POssibly the best noodles I have ever eaten in my life. Too bad about the shocking service and the yellow curry stains!

Today I discovered buried treasures in the breakfast buffet. All the while I'd been disappointed about the lack of peanut butter (the only breakfast food that keeps me full) and how there was only a massive selection of bread, cheeses, hams, and wierd stuff like slivered almonds which just burn right up when i eat them..but today I discovered there right under my nose, hidden beneath some metal lids were mountains of scrambled eggs, bacon, meatballs, green beans and other cooked food! I topped up and figured now I won't need to eat until this afternoon.

Checked out of hotel and crossed undiscovered terrain that is the South side of the main station. The world is so much better on this side of the station! There are actually people around, and apartments and shops and buildings in German style with flower boxes in the windows. There are buildings and streets out my window, instead of empty construction sites. Its a proper hotel and I can't beleive its only $50 a night, and we booked it off a Hostel/backpackers site.

Rose is arriving from the UK today, so fun times ahead. If I could just stay awake later than 8pm we might actually be able to do something this evening.

The rain has gone and the sun has come out, but I'm a bit miffed about why the sky doesn't seem to ever be blue in Frankfurt...